Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Anti-Science Fiction Channel

Well...so it happened again...Joss Whedon tried to produce a sci-fi show for fox...and again fox canceled it. You'd think that he would've learned by now, but I guess he figured he had a good original show to compete with all the reality bullshit on TV today.

Unfortunately, most people don't have attention spans long enough to appreciate an original idea. Everyone always says, why can't Hollywood come up with something original? Why can't they stop just regurgitating the same old themes or just producing a never ending parade of so-called "reality" shows?

The truth is studios produce remakes, reboots, reinventions, or whatever the new catch-all phrase is because people watch. It's truth #1 in Marketing 101 - give them what they want. And, when original show after original show continues to demonstrate poor ratings, and reality show after reality show continues to draw audiences, then add the low cost associated with producing a reality show, and you have a studio's biggest wet dream.

At least, Dollhouse fans will get a chance to finish out the entire 13 episode season, and I'm sure Joss will crank it up for the finale. After that fellow sci-fi fans, keep watching Fringe, because no matter how awesome you may think the show is now, there's no telling what fox will do to fuck that one up too. Moving it to Thursdays in direct competition with CSI was a good start. Keep it up fox...

Personal note: I still like 24, Lie to Me, Bones (in addition to Fringe), but their obvious lack of patience with original sci-fi ideas is getting hard to put up with.

G


- Joss Whedon posted the following reaction to the cancelation of Dollhouse:

Hmm. Apparently my news is not news.

I don't have a lot to say. I'm extremely proud of the people I've worked with: my star, my staff, my cast, my crew. I feel the show is getting better pretty much every week, and I think you'll agree in the coming months. I'm grateful that we got to put it on, and then come back and put it on again.

I'm off to pursue internet ventures/binge drinking. Possibly that relaxation thing I've read so much about. By the time the last episode airs, you'll know what my next project is. But for now there's a lot of work still to be done, and disappointment to bear.

Thank you all for your support, your patience, your excellent adverts. See you again. -j.

No comments:

Post a Comment